Howdy all! Holy smokes it’s been awhile since I’ve made a new post to my blog. I’m a terrible social networker…
Oh wells! Let’s do it to it! What’s the latest, you ask? Well…
1) The 8th Annual Hallow’s Eve Show! – well this sure was a blasty blast. Every year, local bands put on their “musical costumes” and play the Hallow’s Eve show AS another band. Me, the Daves, Tony, and guest electric player Eric went as Coldplay.
Photo by: Intrigma Creative
Have you ever noticed that Coldplay’s lyrics are ciphers? They don’t really make a whole lot of sense. And as such, they are hard as CRAP to remember. I did pretty well memorizing the words, for the most part. But I just COULDN’T get all of Clocks’ lyrics memorized. Therefore, I hand wrote the words and taped them to the back of my guitar! See this sceenshot for proof –
In My Place
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
2) John David Martinez’s “Songs from the Shoebox” CD Release Show! – in April 2013 I started producing a full-length album for an amazing man named JD Martinez. The album finally dropped November 9th! JD had his release concert at the Brauntex Theater in New Braunfels, TX, and my band had the privilege of opening for this special day (I also played with JD’s band)! All ticket sales and a portion of the album proceeds went to help orphans in Peru. It was such an amazing night of music in a historic venue!
Photo by: Andrea Martinez (Loft Photographie)
3) Studio Shenanigans – praise God I have been super busy in the studio, tracking several projects since I returned from the Stages EP Summer Tour. I’ve been working on two full-length records and a myriad of singles and EPs as of mid-November. It’s been super fun digging into so many different styles simultaneously.
- Ty Dillon is tracking a TX country album with me, featuring a variety of killer players in the industry (Austin Davis & James Hertless from the Josh Abbott Band, Marty Muse from Robert Earl Keen’s touring band, Wayne Dahl from Martina McBride’s touring band, and Milo Deering, prolific session musician – [Josh Abbott, Leann Rimes, Madonna]). Ty writes ridiculously great songs and memorable hooks that bely his young age. He’s flipping 20! Tracking should be completed by mid- or late-January.
- John David Martinez and I have been working on his full-length, “Songs from the Shoebox vol. 1”, since April 2013. The album finally dropped November 9th, and it’s wonderful! Over several years JD had written a bunch of songs on scraps of paper/napkins and tossed them into a shoebox. That shoebox was lost in a move. He found the box years later and decided it was time to record the songs! This album will be available on iTunes soon. Currently you can purchase a physical copy at Community Bible Church in San Antonio, TX. A portion of all proceeds goes to help orphans in Peru.
- Brandon Shasteen recorded a super duper fun project with me. Starting in July, we began work on an Advent album – A Festival of Lessons and Carols. What does that mean? Christmas music! Starting this summer and wrapping in late October, me and Brandon assembled a really cool collection of Christmas song/traditional hymn arrangements that tell the redemption story – from creation to the fall to God’s covenant with Abraham to the coming of Christ. Just a few weeks and this project will be released as well!
- Elias Popa/Aaron Steinley just wrapped their project literally yesterday. This has been one of the most fun and fulfilling projects I’ve ever been a part of. Elias traveled to Asia for months (I think more than a year actually) to film a documentary about the persecuted church overseas. Then, last January, Aaron and I scored the music for the film’s trailer. Though from Canada, Aaron met Elias overseas and they decided to partner for this project. Over the past two weeks, we have hunkered down in the studio and cranked out 10 additional songs/snippets for the film. It is so epic, so moving, and so effective in telling the story of the persecuted church. I cannot wait to see the final film, complete with music! Last I heard, they were looking at a spring 2015 release. I’ll be sure to keep y’all posted on this development!
- Andrew Reynosa was actually a guitar student of mine 11 years ago. He was also one of my very first production clients when I went full-time. We cut a single recently called “Everything You Love”. It is incredibly well written and very catchy. It’s a sort of energetic, bluesy, Americana track with raspy vocals and raw guitars. I really enjoyed laying this one down. We did it in just a few hours! Although it’s not yet for sale, you can stream it from his Reverbnation site here.
- Freddy Echiverri released an EP with me a few months back and immediately we dove in to a full length release. The EP was very much an alternative rock album. This new record is definitely leaning in a different direction – ranging from catchy, 90s garage rock a la Weezer to heavier, Muse-y alternative tunes. Yet it all fits together. It’s always a blast having this guy in studio. His songs are always memorable and well-written.
4) Comin’ Down the Pike, we have a few cool things lined up…
- November 21
- December 11
- December 12
- December 18
- March 14
- April 12
– I’m playing an acoustic set at 10pm at Jack’s Patio Bar w/ Tera Ferna and Blue Shift.
– I’m playing the RAW Artists Showcase in Houston, TX @ Stereo Live.
– I’m playing at St. Philip Presbyterian Church in Hurst, TX w/ Paul Demer (he rocks my face).
– The lovely Dave Brent and I will be performing live on the air on the Live & Local show on KRTU 91.7, 10:30pm!
– The Adler Band is playing at the Come Alive in ’15 Youth Rally in Rockdale, TX (with Unspoken, JJ Weeks Band, and others)!
– The Adler Band is playing at St. Timothy Lutheran Church in Houston, TX!
We will be booking lots more shows in the coming weeks/months, as well as starting some new music stuffs. I can’t wait to see what’s in store and share it with ya! Thank you, as always, for the support and love!
Hugs and unicorns,
PS – If you haven’t seen it already, check out our new music video! –>